Blake Herrera - Thursdays @ 6:00pm
Coach Blake instructs the weekly Thursday lessons at Complete Chess. He is USCF rated over 1800, which makes him a Class-A player. With over 8 years of tournament experience, he gives practical concepts that can be used during competitive games.
Coach Blake’s group lessons consist of:
• Puzzle Rush – A fast minigame from chess.com designed to build pattern recognition and calculation skills.
• Live Online Blitz Games – Students understand how to convert concepts into moves during a real match.
• Interactive Lectures – Coach Blake believes in using Socrates’ method of asking questions to reach a conclusion. This gets students to learn concepts through independent thinking.
Carlos Gonzalez - Sundays* @ 3:00pm
Coach Carlos instructs the weekly Sunday lessons at Complete Chess. He has played chess online for years before working with Complete Chess, and is USCF rated over 1600.
Coach Carlos’ group lessons consist of:
• Openings – Students will learn the best ways to start the game, and all of the nuances along with it!
• Grandmaster Game Analysis – Detailed lecture of instructive games between the world’s top competitors!
These group lessons are available with our club membership. The first visit is free – no membership required. Private lesson students for our coaches may attend these free of charge.
* The last Sunday of every month is Jesse Lozano’s Master Class (below). This is not included with club membership.
Aaron Reyes - Fridays @ 5:15pm
Coach Aaron instructs an after school chess club in Spring Branch. He has been competing in rated tournaments since 1999, and since that time, has placed in a number of them. Most notably he won 1st U1400 at the Texas Amateur in 2011, and tied for 1st U1600 at the 2014 Lone Star Open. He was also a member of the Texas A&M Chess team, which won 2nd place team at the 2005 Texas Collegiate Championship. With many years of coaching experience, Coach Aaron knows how to interact, encourage, and teach children to become better chess players
The Master Class
Jesse Lozano - Last Sunday @ 3:00pm
National Master and 4-time San Antonio chess champion Jesse James Lozano now offers his insights in his new Master Class group lessons on the last Sunday of every month. Recommended rating is 600 and above.
Coach Lozano’s Master Class lecture includes two hours of the following:
• Blitz Against Other Masters – Learn how masters form their strategy in real time!
• Puzzles – Avoid falling into key patterns that lose the game, and take advantage when your opponent does!
• Presentations on a Theme – Just one idea can occur through many games!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter.
Sign up to our newsletter to receive latest updates on our chess tournaments, camps, lessons, and other events. Take the first step of joining the chess community we take great pride in.